Book: Dreams Are Built Overnight
Photos Courtesy of David Shands
Author: David Shands
David is an inspiration to anyone with an idea to create what doesn’t yet exist. From employee to employer, David worked in various customer-oriented industries, all while building his own apparel business. He coined the phrase, “Sleep is 4 Suckers”, starting out with wristbands and a cool story, later evolving into a clothing line and a way of life. With entrepreneurship being his overarching area of expertise, David works to inspire and uplift many with his brand tag line “If you lose sleep doing what you love, you will eventually live the dream that you only would have dreamt”.Since David quit his job at the Cheesecake Factory in 2012, his successful businesses, compelling story and unique teaching style have taken his speaking platform across the country. David has the unique ability to teach complicated subjects like entrepreneurship, marketing, leadership and mental toughness in a way that is being grasped and understood by audiences of all ages. (Source: www.davidneversleeps.com)
My biggest pet peeve is when people tell me that they want to “Network” with me. I’m not really sure what that means. Bring some value and I would like to know what the objective is for our new found relationship from the very beginning.
2. When you first launched Sleep is 4 Suckers what were some relationships you made that made a big difference in your initial success?
I made relationships with successful people by taking them to lunch. Anyone that I thought may have been successful I offered lunch too.
3. Who are two people that have influenced your business journey thus far?
4. What made you decide to write this book? What do you hope readers get from it?
I wanted to offer a simple solution and practical steps to becoming a full-time entrepreneur for those who are stuck at dead-end jobs. This book has really helped people realize how simple it is to start and sustain a business.
5. What was your writing process like for this book?
Start and stop and start and stop lol.
6. What’s your best advice for getting over writer’s block?
Blocking off “writing hours”. Take 60 mins to write, whether you have good stuff to write or not. Some of the stuff I wrote during my “writer's block” turned out to be some of my best content.
7. Being a person that has reached tremendous success in business, how important has it been for you to stay humble and faithful to your craft?
It’s vital for my own religious beliefs to stay humble and not become arrogant or proud. Staying the course is a key to success
8. What’s the biggest mistake you have made in business and what did it teach you about success?
My biggest mistake has been allowing other ideas to distract me from the idea that’s in front of me. I’ve learned that suppressing my creative ideas are hard to do, but it is necessary for my success.
9. What’s the best book you have read in 2019 thus far?
10. Do you plan on writing more books in the future?
Of course! Anyone can write one book, some people will write 2, but professionals create a body of work.
Places To Find More From This Author:
Get Your Copy of Dreams Are Built Overnight Today!